Topiary Thanks


When someone does something special for you, you want a special way to say thank you … So, when my mom treated me to lunch and gave me some extra money for the Great Lakes Mega Meet, I wanted to thank her in a way she would really enjoy.

I created this card from products I purchased there … watercolor flower paper from Ken Oliver and a stamp that said, “Mom,” from Art Gone Wild. My mom loves to garden and she appreciates the beauty and work that goes into make a topiary. She also love cats and has many statues of them hidden in her gardens. So, when I saw this stamp, I knew it was perfect for her. In fact, the only thing that would have made it better is if it was a real topiary and not a stamped image!

IMGP2539I used Copic markers to color the image … I mixed a few different color families of green to get the shading more realistic. And, although you cannot see it in the photograph, I added Wink of Stella glitter in clear to the pot to give it a subtle metallic coppery feel.

Congratulations, Korie

My beautiful daughter recently graduated from Lansing Community College.



Naturally, I had to make a card to congratulate her on this momentous event.


I started with Color Bursts and watercolor paper to create this amazing background. Then I added the words cut from Elizabeth Craft Designs’ Congratulations die.IMGP2544Inside, I copied a movie reference (“Legally Blonde”) that I knew my daughter would get and appreciate using an alphabet die from ECD. And then I added a happy graduate and some flying hats from Impression Obsession.

I love the card and I got a big smile out of her when she opened it (although that may have been in part to the cash tucked inside.)


Star Light, Star Bright


Marquee letters are all the rage … but they are metal, large and expensive.

Heidi Swapp came out with a smaller version you can make to match your house. Called Marquee Love, these ones sell for $12.99 and come in all of the letters of the alphabet and a few shapes. I started with a star to see how I would like it.

The box contains the white chipboard shape, the lights, cord and battery pack and a template for covering the inside with paper.

001I painted mine with Gold Distress Paint as a base.

003Then I went around the edges with Archival Ink in Potting Soil.


On the inside of the piece, I added IndigoBlu Megaflake in Morris Dance. I love the aged appearance it gives …


Then it was just a matter of sticking in the lights and attaching the cord and battery pack …


Pretty cool, eh?!


The Magical, Musical Tour

motor1A dear friend asked me to make some cards with motorcycle and guitar themes. I don’t normally create with those themes, so I perused the stores for some 3D stickers I could use. I found a few, sat down to create and then realized I had no appropriate paper. And, I didn’t┬áremember seeing what I needed. Then I remembered my cousin Robin’s challenge to use some stencils and figured I would “kill two birds with one stone.”

motor3So, I pulled out some stencils, Dylusions Inks, giant manila tags, Ranger Archival Ink and Wendy Vecchi Embossing Paste and went to work. Once I finished making backgrounds, I cut the rest apart and added bits and pieces to the cards.

motor2Many of the insides have stickers and punches in them as well, but I forgot to take photos of them before mailing.