Today, I have a very special project to share.
It began with a table many years ago …
The solid-maple table was my grandmother’s and I have always loved the lines and style of it.
During those years when my house was furnished with hand-me downs and yard-sale finds, this table was the only “nice” piece of furniture I owned.
Years ago, I decided to refinish the table. Once I realized how hard it was, I stopped after doing the top and painted the rest of the table navy.
When I moved into a Victorian home, I painted over the navy with cream and added gold and mauve accents, despite the large scratch it acquired during a cross-country move.
And, when I prepared to move into this house, I took a can of white spray paint to the table to cover up that awful gold and mauve. I even purchased new knobs to spruce it up a bit. I wanted to do something a little more to it, but I wasn’t sure what, so it sat in this state … complete with the shadow of the mauve flowers I painted on it still visible.
Last week, a friend and I wandered around Hobby Lobby where I fell in love with a decorative pillow that, unfortunately, did not fit into my budget.
When I got home, I took one look at that table and suddenly I knew what I could do with it!
Isn’t it lovely?!
I started with white cardstock and inked it with Distress Ink. Then, using a few other colors of Distress Ink that matched my rug, I stamped a background with script, a compass and some swirls — all by Tim Holtz. I then added the birds (a stamp from Wendy Vecchi) with brighter Distress Ink and the saying with a bit of Ranger Archival Ink.
Then, I lightly spritzed it with Perfect Pearls Mists in Heirloom Gold.
My husband wants to see the table returned to its original glory and has promised to refinish it this spring, so I just adhered the paper to the table. If I had planned this to be permanent, I probably would seal it, but I just left it as is.
I love the depth, the colors and the pattern I came up with. It’s reminiscent of the pillow I saw, but was made entirely with supplies on hand and took less than 20 minutes! My kind of project.